Social Investment Scotland
Social Investment Scotland (SIS) is Scotland’s leading provider of affordable, flexible, repayable investment for social enterprises. Their mission is to connect capital with communities to make a real, measurable and sustainable impact upon people’s lives.
Funding from the Postcode Innovation Trust was used for SIS's Ambitions Masterclass Programme - an executive level, high quality masterclass and support programme for leaders of Scotland’s social purpose organisations.
The masterclass programme had two parts:
Part 1: A series of six masterclasses
- Purpose-Driven Leadership
- Scaling Operations and Impact
- Managing Change
- Governance and Leadership
- Marketing and Storytelling
- Perfecting the Pitch and Raising Investment
Part 2: A business support programme consisting of
- Online diagnostic toolkit
- Tailored action plan
Through the programme, SIS have now worked alongside 36 leaders, from 29 different organisations. These organisations deliver incredibly valuable work with people and communities across Scotland, and further afield. Through their support, the players of the Peoples’ Postcode Lottery are also helping these purposeful organisations achieve greater social impact. As examples, the organisations helped can achieve more in their ongoing work to:
- Provide affordable funeral solutions and campaigns for fairness in funerals across Scotland.
- Offer hands on educational and learning opportunities for the local Edinburgh community, as well as promote community development and environmental sustainability.
- Provide affordable out of school care for children by designing services where working parents only pay for the care they require, enabling many parents to continue in employment.
- Promote diversity through education, inspiration and changing perceptions of people who have experienced displacement as refugees or immigrants.
- Improve health, well-being and employment opportunities for vulnerable people living in the Inverclyde area through a local bistro serving homemade fresh food, whilst also offering employment and training opportunities to vulnerable people.
- Support teaching in sub-Saharan Africa by reusing computers and enabling students to gain a digital education.
In their own words, these are the differences the Ambitions Masterclass Programme has made to them:
“As a direct result of attending the masterclasses our earned income has grown significantly”
“An immense difference! It’s already prompted several very hard but important discussions between myself and our board/team and I think will alter a lot the ways we’re trying to do things”
“Increased confidence in our business model and energy to continue to scale up”
“It has made me realise the difference between managing and leading”
“It provided me with an opportunity to take a step back and reflect, review and think about our business in a safe thought-provoking and stimulating environment. The workshops were timely in terms of my thinking about our long-term plans and aspirations”
Social Investment Scotland also received further funding for their 'Ambitions for Recovery' programme in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This free programme will work with 20 social purpose leaders to develop recovery and growth plans. The programme will include:
- Peer support
- Access to grants for specialist support
- Resilience support for leaders
- Expert Masterclasses (coaching, influencing teams and boards, understanding customers, pitching for investment, marketing and storytelling, and strategies for growth)
- Expert mentoring from corporate partners Baille Gifford
- Tailored investment packages to invest in recovery.